Saturday, February 9, 2008

An interesting week...

I am happy to report the “sickness” is finally gone! We have had two healthy weeks. There was a small incident with Van involving his first throwing-up episode, but we are pretty sure that it was something he ate. It was still very sad, seeing my kids sick and in pain is miserable.

Well, the 8th was my birthday. I turned 29 and am one year closer to the big 3-0. I have to admit I was not looking forward to this birthday. The closer it got the more unhappy I was about it. But it came anyway and once it did I was fine. I have had a whole day of being 29 and I have lived to tell the tale. Being 29 is just like being 28. Having a birthday has caused me to reflect. This year Ben and I will be married for 10 years. Crazy, I know. If being 29 did not make me feel old, then being married for 10 years is sure to do it. Anyway all these milestones have made reflect on the last 10 years. I think this might have been what brought on the unhappiness in the first place, because as I started to think about all the things I hadn’t accomplished. The schooling left unfinished. The mom I wanted and still want to be but frequently fall short of. And many other insignificant things. Then Ben got a job offer that caused us to step back and look at where we really are and the things we have accomplished over the course of our marriage. I no longer feel unhappy. We have been very blessed. Together we have accomplished a lot over the past 10 years. And Ben has been very successful in his career. Which I like to think I had a little something to do with. The point is I am happy with the life that we have made together and getting older is not a new concept, it didn’t catch me off guard but it did sting a little.

You are probably wondering about the job offer…well it is a long story. There has not been a decision made but I will write more about it once I can tell the whole story along with the ending.

For Valentine’s Day, I surprised Ben with a stay at the Castle Creek Inn, which is where we spent the first night of our honeymoon. (They were booked for Valentine’s Day weekend, so I had to schedule it for the 8th) It was so nice to get away, even for a night. It is something we do not do nearly often enough. We had adult conversation the whole night without interruption it was awesome! It was so nice to reconnect and spend time together without disruptions. When we got home, we both felt ready to deal with life and being parents again. We are hoping to make getaways like this more of a priority.

0 comments: