Saturday, February 23, 2008

Jobs, Vans and a student of the week

The kids are asleep and the hubby is working (I know on a Saturday night , how rude) so what better time to blog. Well it has been an eventful few weeks for us. I guess we are making up for lost time due to “the sickness.” So, I promised an explanation of the vague job offer reference from an earlier post. I will try to make this very long story short and sweet. Basically, the church came to Ben and asked him to apply for a position they were hiring for. Ben has wanted to work for the church or BYU since he graduated from college. Having said that, Ben also loves his job at Westminster and is in the middle of a very big project that he did not want to leave. However, he decided that this was an opportunity that he did not want to pass him by so he decided to go ahead and interview. The very long process of interviews ended, time passed and we heard nothing. We assumed they had gone another direction and didn’t think much of it. Then Ben got a phone call from the woman who had interviewed him offering him the job. They even offered him slightly better pay then what he was making at Westminster. The down side was the benefits. We have been lucky enough to have good benefits our entire married life and the ones offered by the church were pretty bad. At this point Ben decided it was time to let his boss at Westminster know what was going on and told him the situation. Let us just say Westminster was not going to let Ben go without a fight. Westminster made the decision easy to make. It was nice for Ben to see how much he is valued at the college. OK so that is the job stuff.

We also made a big purchase this week. We bought a new van. Yah, Yah, for all of you jokesters we mean the vehicle not the baby. Our old van had a cracked radiator and we were tired of putting money into it. So we took the plunge and bought a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country. We have never owned a vehicle this nice. I have to admit now that the guilt has worn off (why is there always guilt associated with car buying) I really like it.

Other fun news…Joseph was student of the week. He acted as if it was no big deal, but I think he was actually excited. He got his picture taken and posted in the hall, he also got a certificate and best of all a lunch with the principle. We are really proud of him and the good efforts he has made.

Of course, the big news of the week is Van’s first birthday. We kept the day low-key with the highlight being the infamous first birthday cake. He was the most tentative of our kids about “digging in.” He kept looking at me like “are you really going to let me stick my fingers in this and eat it?” After some encouragement, he started using his fingers to eat the frosting and then eventually went for it. He was still quite clean about the whole thing. When all was said and done, his hands and face were a mess but his bib and clothes were clean (such a considerate boy). Anyway, we had a fun night with him eating cake and opening presents. I still cannot believe he is one, but at least I am not crying as I write this like I was during the last post. All of you moms know what I mean, don’t act like you didn’t cry too. Once again I have written way more than I intended, so for those of you that stuck through to the bitter end, I hope it was worth it!

0 comments: