Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Third times a charm

I do not know how true this is as far as universal truths go, but it has defiantly been true for our third baby. Van was well… a surprise. We were not planning to get pregnant and weren’t even sure if we wanted another baby. I am so glad that our Heavenly Father knew better than we did and blessed us with this sweet boy. All babies are cute and fun. However, Van is special. He exudes happiness, and it is infectious. He smiles at anyone and everyone from the check out girl at Wal-Mart to the ladies at church. He is quite the little flirt I must say and has melted many a heart. The other day someone said he has 20 times more charm than any one should be allowed. This is a very true statement. He amazes me every day with his sweet spirit and genuine happiness. He is usually laughing or smiling. He is very determined to the point of stubbornness, I am guessing he gets that from Ben. Don’t get me wrong he is a baby and therefore has his moments of less than desirable behavior. But these moments are few and far between and generally short. Van turns one tomorrow. For some reason it is always hard for me when my kids turn one. Of course I look forward to all of the fun firsts he has ahead of him and all the great things that we will be able to share with him as he grows older. But I can’t help but mourn the loss of the baby…you know the snuggling, the late nights when it was just the two of us and the special bond that a mother and baby share. Maybe I feel this way because it is usually around a year that I stop being the favorite and Dad steps in to fill that post. Luckily, Van is showing no signs of being foiled by the fun that is dad. So, at least for now, I am still the favorite…tomorrow may be another story.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Your slideshow was so cute. Van really is a sweet boy. Happy birthday Van!

Just me said...

This was great! VAn is such a cutie, Joe and Lillie are so big and so photogenic.I miss you all !!

Claudia said...

Happy Birthday Van! Congratulations on making it through the first year of sleepless nights (although you sound like you might not mind them so much - how do you do that?)!