Thursday, August 21, 2008

This isn't Coldplay!

There are a lot of proud moments one experiences as a parent. Some of them you expect; firsts of all sorts, walking, talking, school and so forth. But there are a few that catch you off guard. A few that may mean nothing to anyone else but to you is amazing. Here is just one of those moments I experienced with Joseph the other day. I am loving the new Coldplay CD and have been listening to every chance I get, as a bonus Joseph also loves it. We were in the van when the CD ended and I thought it might be time for something different. So I put in the new Death cab for cutie CD (also awesome!) As soon as the first cord of the first song spilled from the speakers Joseph yelled "This isn't coldplay" in a very how dare you voice. It was a very proud moment, I swelled with, dare I say, pride. I love the fact that Joseph loves music and that we have a lot of the same tastes and can share that bond. It doesn't hurt that this shared love makes me "cooler than dad" according to Joseph.

We are music people in our home. We all love music, and there is a very eclectic mix of tastes and genres that one might hear at any moment in our home, but there is almost always music playing (even if it is in headphones). We all have some very strong opinions about music...we all try to appriciate and be accepting about each others music, we are not always successful however. Joseph also likes some music that I do not care for (his dad's influence) such as The beach boys and Neil Diamond. But this too is fun because it creates a chance to tease...although there have been some pretty heated musical discussions that have included Joseph and Lillie...we might care about all of this a bit too much.


Since I am bragging about Joseph's amazing ear for music I will tell you just a few more interesting Joseph music facts, he can name almost any classical composer by their songs, he can recognize and usually name any Police song before the singing starts and he loves the Beatles and can recognize and name most of their songs as well. He can also play the piano by ear.

Just as a footnote I am going to the Coldplay concert in November and can hardly wait, but Joseph doesn't know I am going...at least I have a few months to break it to him that he is not invited.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I am stoked for the Coldplay concert! Joseph does have an amazing ear. He is a talented little fellow.

Crystal said...

How fun to have Joseph love music the way he does. I have know knowledge when it comes to music. My poor kids. I wish I was better at placing music.

Nicole said...

We spotlighted Joseph last week in primary. I didn't know Joseph could play the piano by ear. That was really fun to learn. My nephew who is just about to leave on his mission can play by ear, and teaches himself songs in just a couple of days. One of my favorites he plays is "Clocks" by coldplay!