Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A (HUGE) Leap of Faith

For those of you who are regular readers of my blog you may remember a previous blog in which I said my biggest fear is failure and I do not do things unless I am fairly certain I will succeed. Well I have decided to take a leap of faith and a take my photography to the next level. I am hoping to start doing portraiture “professionally.” Obviously, there is no guarantee that this will be a successful venture. I am very aware that I still have a lot to learn. I am hoping that a combination of my schooling and experience will help me to build a portfolio that will lead me to professional status.

This is where you, my friends and family come into the picture (no pun intended). In order to build a portfolio I need models. I want to specialize in newborns and kids. And most of you reading this blog either have kids or know someone who has kids. My proposal is this: I will do a portrait session with your kids; I’ll even do sessions with your family and friends as long as I don’t become too swamped. The session would be totally free for you. I will come to your home or we can be on location. I will give you a CD with the pictures from our shoot that you will have the rights to and you can print as many or as few as you want. I will Photoshop and enhance the pictures and help you find a good place for printing. I will retain the right to use any of the images on my website. I will not use any names of course. In return, I hope that you will recommend me to friends and family once my website is up and I am working professionally.

For those of you who might be wondering, I had my first shoot yesterday. It went very well for a first shoot and I am feeling very confident at this point. My first models were awesome. I felt like it was a good experience for all of us. I will post some of the pictures from this session so you can get an idea of the style I will be shooting. Being true to my promise I will not give the names of these models but many of you will recognize them. I could not have asked for a better first shoot or models. I appreciate their mom so much for letting me take their pictures. I have two more shoots this week and two others set up (we just have to wait for them to be born).

I would love to do a shoot for you. If you have other needs such as family pictures, engagement photos or anything else, I would be happy to help you with those as well. I need as much practice as I can get in a real shooting environment if this venture is going to be a success.

If you are interested in seeing the style that I am striving for I have links to other photographer’s websites that I would be happy to pass on.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh, Pick Me, Pick Me! (Raises hand real high.) If you need more models I would be happy to lend my kids. Your pictures look cute. Is that Holly and Issac?

Amy said...

I admire your energy and willingness to follow your dreams and interests. The pictures look great! I'll let you know when Cameron's cold clears up.

Kristin said...

I would love to have you do a shoot with Caden. We have not had a lot of luck getting his pics taken because he gets so nervous. Maybe if it was at his own house or a familiar place, he might do better. Your first shoot is adorable! I love your models :)

Shannon said...

Yeah! Good for you, Terrie, for having the confidence to put yourself out there and enter the world of unknown. It is good that you don't let your fear of failure dictate your desires! I will definately use your services and I can't wait for the weather to get better so we can go on location for photos.

Wendi said...

I am Mat Weaver's sister Wendi. I linked to your blog through theirs. I would love to have you do some pictures for us if you are willing. Please let me know what we need to do to get together.