Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The President's speech Part 2

I feel like I need to clarify a few things. I hope that my last post did not sound like I was myself, or encouraging my kids to follow blindly. Of course I think that we need to be informed before making a decision in any aspect of our lives politics included. I also believe that no matter what situation you are in, parents are responsible for educating their kids. They may choose to send their kids to public or private school or they may choose to home school, no matter which vehicle is chosen it is the parents responsibility to make sure what is being taught is in harmony with what they believe and what they feel comfortable with. I think that the parents who decided they did not want their children to watch the President's speech had every right to do so. I just wonder if they chose that for reasons other than political. My last post had less to do with politics and more to do with not letting preconceived notions interfere with an opportunity. I think this was an amazing opportunity for our children. To have the President take a specific interest in the youth of this country and address them directly is incredible in my opinion.

I think that the speech was great. He didn't talk down to our children nor did he talk over their heads. His message was clear. Take responsibility for your education not matter what your situation. I think this is a message that many kids need to hear. They can blame no one and nothing for their failure and deserve credit for their achievements. They are capable of so much if they put forth the effort that is required for success. One of the things I especially liked about the speech was the fact that he encouraged kids to make their own goal for the school year; however big or small and be accountable for that goal. I also loved his take on failure. Failure breeds successful people. Those who fail the most are trying the most and will eventually succeed. He encouraged them not to let failure define them. This is a lesson that I think we can all learn from. Even if he did use the tired and over used "Micheal Jordan didn't make the Jr. High basket ball team" example. The President counseled our kids to ask for help when they need it reminding them there is no shame in asking for help. Asking for help does not make you weak.

And now I will step down from my soap box.

1 comments:

Crystal said...

I for one am glad I got to watch and listen to our President. I am going to show my kids later. I think it is important for our kids to respect our leaders. He did a great job educating and encouraging. Thanks for sharing. I would have been perfectly fine letting my girls watch the president at school. It stinks there was such an uproar about the whole thing.